Mr. Porter is the President of Porter Law Group, Inc. His practice encompasses more than 25 years experience in private, state and federal construction claims before state and federal courts as well as in mediation and arbitration. Mr. Porter regularly represents contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, developers and owners in complex multi-party construction litigation. His areas of expertise include construction defects, construction collections, mechanics’ liens, stop notices, bond claims, prompt payment remedies, construction contracts, competitive bidding and construction-related labor and employment matters. He has been appointed as an El Dorado Superior Court Temporary Pro Tem Judge, a private mediator and arbitrator and has regularly contributed to legislation on behalf of the construction industry.
Mr. Porter is the founding President of Region Builders, Inc. and the Region Builders Political Action Committee. He has served on the Sacramento Board of Directors for Real Estate and Construction Networking (“RECON”) and currently serves on its National Board of Directors. He also serves on the Board of Directors and as legal counsel to the Sacramento Chapter of the American Subcontractors Association (“ASA”) and is a member of the ASA California Government Relations Committee. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Sacramento Builder Exchange and has chaired its Government Relations Committee. He is a member of the Associated General Contractors of California (“AGC”) and the AGC California Legal Advisory Committee. He is a member of the Associated Builders & Contractors (“ABC”) Golden Gate Chapter and the California Professional Association of Specialty Contractors (“CALPASC”). Mr. Porter regularly contributes to legislation on behalf of the construction industry, including most recently as Chair of a statewide committee of construction attorneys who rewrote those construction laws which became Senate Bill 189 and now can be found in California Civil Code sections 8000 to 9566.
Mr. Porter has testified on numerous occasions in favor of new construction legislation and he has presented lectures before such construction trade groups as the AGC, ASA, ABC, CALPASC, the Society of Professional Estimators as well as before the California State College System, Builders’ Exchanges throughout California, Lorman Seminars, National Business Institute Seminars and for numerous individual contractors throughout the state.
- Sacramento County Bar Association;
- State Bar of California (Member, Labor and Employment Law Section);
- Member, Associated General Contractors of California (Member, Legal advisory Committee, 2009-Present);
- American Subcontractors’ Association Capitol Chapter (Member, Board of Directors and Legal Counsel, Sacramento, 2000-Present);
- American Subcontractors’ Association of California (Member, California Government Relations Committee, 2003-Present);
- Member, Associated Builders & Contractors of California, Golden Gate Chapter;
- Member, Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Member, California Professional Association of Specialty Contractors;
- Principal, Labor Compliance Program Services LLC, 2002- 2004;
- American Institute of Inspectors, National Board of Directors, 1998-2000.
- Author, California Lien Laws and Other Construction Claim Remedies;
- Contributing Counsel – 2003 Civil Code Section 3097 and 3259.5 Revisions;
- Contributing Counsel – 2009 Civil Code Section 3084 and 3146 Revisions;
- Contributing Counsel – 2009 Senate Bill 189 (Lowenthal);
- Numerous articles on construction topics in various construction trade publications.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 1987;
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Awards: Land Use Planning and Administrative Law;
- Case Law Editor, Owens California Forms and Civil Procedure Treatise, 1986-1987;
- Editor’s Scholarship.
- University of San Francisco, B.S. Business Administration (Marketing), 1983;
- President, Sigma Alpha Epsilon; Co-founder, Cal Sigma Housing Corporation;
- Co-founder, Intra-Fraternity Council.
Charitable and Other
- Children’s Receiving Home of Sacramento (Regional Children’s Shelter), Board of Directors 1996-2005, Board Secretary 1997-2002, Executive Committee 1997-2002, 2004-2005, Program Task Force Chair 2004-2005, Long Range Planning Committee Chair 2001-2003, Finance and Personnel Committee 1996-1997.
- Families for Children (Foster Care and Adoption Agency) President and Chairman of the Board 1996-2004, Board Member, 1996 – Present.
- Rotary Club of Sacramento (Classification: Construction Law); Rotary Youth Incentive Mentoring Program, Co-Founder and Mentor (1997-2004), Rotary Capitol Links Mentoring Program (1995-1997).
- Jesuit High School Alumni Association (Class of 1978), Sacramento.